Saturday, November 14, 2015

Gentle on my Mind

I seem to have caught the cold that is going around. Both my men at home have it, my sister had it and now it's my turn.  I'm taking care of it today, lots of fluids, rest and throat drops to douse the bug and hopefully, have a weaker version of the darn thing...

So I've been reading and knitting and catching up with friends in France just to connect, tell them that I love them and am thinking about them in the wake of the horrific events of yesterday...

I watched two wonderful if dramatically different films on Netflix today.  One is based on the long-time, best-selling book:  Autobiography of a Yogi and is titled: Awake, The Life of the Yogananda, and the other is I'll Be Me, a documentary of Glen Campbell's last road trip as told by his wife, family and friends.

I'm very touched by this piece of work.  It's meaningful and generous and informative and Hey!, it's about Glen Campbell...

I remember thinking he wasn't my cup of tea when my Mom would hum his tunes but I've since grown up and seen the error of my ways.  Glen Campbell is magnificent.  A talented musician, a guitar player hors pair, a steadfast entertainer and a generally very decent (and sometimes naughty) human being.
I have a late-life crush on this guy.  His songs fill my heart and remind me of days when the long summers would stretch into the fall and I would hop on my bike on a Saturday and head for the giant culvert behind the college and just lie on my back and chew on the tender ends of weeds that grew by the side of the road.   I hadn't a care in the world and whenever I wanted to be alone with my thoughts, the culvert was just a short bike-ride away and the rivers of my memory would carry me down the flowing water to wherever I wanted to be.

At the end of the documentary, The Band Perry plays Gentle on my Mind and I think it's the best rendering, after Glen's, of course, that I have ever heard.  Let it take you where you want to go, to sweeter, gentler, more carefree times...



Love,

Stella

1 comment:

Linda said...

Hope your cold is better by now! (It is my turn for sniffling and sneezing this week.) Glad to hear you watched Awake, The Life of the Yoganandya. I watched it at a retreat earlier this month.

Linda

Happy Birthday to Me

My face is on fire as I write this.  Can't go outside for three days because I've had Photodynamic Therapy for pre-cancerous cells o...